Tuesday, January 27, 2009

In Memory of My Sweet Grandpa









It is with a heavy heart and teary eyes that I tell you my sweet Grandpa, or Pappy as we have called him since he became a Great Grandpa, passed away this morning. I am including some of my favorite pictures of him(at least that I have in digital format). We spent the evening looking through pictures and old albums and telling our favorite stories about him. I'm going to share some with you now, as it is helping me to focus on the great times and not our great loss.

When Beth and I were little my Grandparents babysat us while our parents went out, when my Mom and Dad were coming to pick us up we used to run to their bed and act like we were sleeping so we could spend the night. My Dad used to tickle us and we would giggle, but never open our eyes. It usually always worked!

Pappy used to love us to comb and style his hair. We could do anything we wanted to it, but as soon as we were done he combed it right back into place. He never had a hair out of place, and even these last few days at the hospital he always looked great. His nurses even always commented on it.

We used to play baseball in their big back yard all of the time, he was so patient and would pitch to us for hours and hours. Brian used to run the bases backwards, it was so funny. Grandpa was convinced he would make it to America's Funniest Home video's with the film of that one.

My Grandpa took us all to Disney World on vacation one year, and bought a new video camera to capture the memories. Most of the memories captured were Grandpa's feet, as when he thought the camera was on it was off and visa versa. The lens cap was also on for a large part of the trip, so you would hear voices but not see video.

He wanted me to be a good golfer so bad, and took me out to the legion religiously every week. (he later did the same with my brother and sister) He knew everyone on that course, but no ones names. He's always called all men Tiger and ladies simply Lady or Gal. He always had a big smile and hello for everyone!

I attribute my love of ice cream and all things sweet to my dear Pappy! He used to take us very regularly to North Side Dairy Haven for 3/$1 Hamburgers and ice cream cones. I still love that dive to this day!

This last summer Brittney played ball on the ball diamond across the street from my Grandparents house. Since Pappy's leg was amputated a few years ago, and as his health has deteriorated, it has become harder for him to leave the house. But with the ball diamond right across the street, Pappy could hop on his scooter and head to Brit's games. No matter how bad he felt, he never missed a game. He was so proud and excited to get to see her. Brittney always scolded me for it, but I always put a bow in her hair for her games...it was so Pappy could tell which little girl was Brit, his eyes weren't good enough to read names on the back of their shirts or pick up little facial details.

I could go on and on, but I will leave you with that. Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Pappy is in a better place now, watching over us in Heaven with the best seat in the house.

5 comments:

Bauerfamilyof5 said...

I'm so, so sad for you and your family. But, how wonderful for you all that you experienced that kind of love. I have VERY similar feelings about my grandpa who is getting VERY old, but is doing well. I'm pretty sure no matter how long they live....it's not long enough for those that are left behind.

HMW said...

Becky,
I was so sad to read your blog this morning. My sympathy and thoughts are with you and your family. I know how close you were with your grandpa and the memories will live on forever.
Love,
Holly

Anonymous said...

becky,
i have been thinking about you all week. I am so sorry for your loss. your family has been blessed to have such a wonderful man in their lives. it was obvious how special he was to you and you all were to him. keep remembering all those good times.

keeping you in my prayers.

Erica said...

Becky, so sorry about your loss. This is such a sweet post, your girls will for sure cherish these memories you have recorded someday. I love that you put a bow in her hair just for him. How absolutely precious.

Tasha Roe said...

Hey Beck! I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. I know how dear your grandpa was to you guys. He will be missed greatly. The wonderful memories that you made with him are so special. My eyes started to flood when you mentioned Britt's games and her bow. So sweet! Hugs!!